Tonight Gabe and I decided to make Chicken Pesto Risotto which was amazing!!! (Recipe) We had to make the pesto from scratch in order to make it dairy free and we ran out of basil to make the full pesto recipe. We didn’t realize we didn’t have enough basil until I had already crushed the pine nuts and garlic needed for the broccoli. We ended up splitting the crushed pine nuts and garlic in half and putting one half off to the side. Not knowing what to do with the crushed pine nuts and garlic we went to google and pinterest for some inspiration. I googled recipes with garlic and pine nuts and found various options, but the most appealing was for broccoli with pine nuts and garlic. We were already planning on making broccoli as our side so this was perfect! Here is our recipe that we invented with inspiration from google!
1/2 Cup pine nuts
1.5 cloves of garlic
2/3 lb of broccoli
3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a blender or food processor, pules the nuts until they are coarsely ground. Add the garlic and pulse a couple more times.
2. Steam the broccoli. (We steamed it in the microwave by placing 3 tablespoons of water and broccoli in a microwave safe bowl. We laid a wet paper towel on top and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes)
3. In a wok, heat the olive oil. Add the broccoli to the pan and toss the broccoli in the olive oil.
4. Add the pine nut and garlic mixture to the pan and toss the broccoli in the pine nut and garlic mixture.
5. Take off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
I want to try the recipe again adding some lemon juice to add some flavor, but over all it was a great creation!