Apple picking is a Fall staple in the Northeast. I’m pretty sure it’s also the only time of year I actually eat apples. Every year I come home with too many apples and I don’t know what to do with them. This year I went into apple picking knowing I am coming home and baking Apple Coffeecake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb, modified from Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch to make it gluten free! Check out her original recipe here.
Brown Sugar Cinamon Crumb
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground
- 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cubed
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream Or Greek Yogurt
- 2 whole Large Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored and Diced ( About 3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9″x13″ pan and line with parchment paper, butter parchment paper.
- Prepare The Brown Sugar Cinnamon Crumb:
- Mix together brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and cinnamon.
- Mix using a mixer or cut in using a pastry cutter 6 tablespoons cubed butter until crumbly.
- Set aside
- Add 3/4 cup cold butter to a new mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. (I used a stand mixer) Slowly add sugar while beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl between each egg. Then add vanilla and mix well. Batter should be light and fluffy.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup sour cream mixing on low speed until just combined being careful not to over mix. Repeat until all of the flour and sour cream has been added.
- Mix in diced apples until evenly distributed.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of prepared pan and spread to the edge.
- Spread 1/3 of of the Brown Sugar Cinnamon Crumb over the batter and cover with remaining apple coffeecake batter and use a knife to swirl in cinnamon crumb topping.
- Press brown sugar crumb topping between fingers to form crumbs and distribute evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before serving.(Definitely listen to this step, otherwise you will have a crumbly mess)